Monday, June 3, 2013

Off to Work in Lincoln

Hello All! Sister Curtis has been assigned to her first area in Lincoln, for those not near a map this is near the top of her mission. Lincoln is located in Lincolnshire in the midlands region of Englnad, from the pictures on wikipedia it looks amazing and I am excited for Sister Curtis to send us some pictures :D

May 20, 2013


Dear Mom,
My new trainer is amazing, I was so worried about who was going to be my trainer that I fasted and prayed about it on my first Sunday out here, and the Lord answered my prayers, she is great, we go running together and we talk and have some same stories! Its great, honestly I feel like I have been her companion forever, we are such best friends, and we have the same first name! It’s cool. We work as a companionship, not as I was thinking it was going to be, like she would do all the talking, its great! We do things as a team. So the area I’m in is called Lincoln. It’s the city and surrounding small towns. Sister Egbert and her comp, were the first ever Sister missionary’s here, so it still feels like we are opening a new area. We live in this little flat off of Dodington Road, we are in the south side of the town and the Elders are in the north side, it’s only us Sisters and the Elders in Lincoln. To describe this place, we have loads of fields, like in the picture books. And loads of old buildings and an old castle and manor homes. And its always misty and damp and just England! It is so green and pretty! It’s been nice because since I have been here we have been hard at work. The first 3 days I biked close to 11 miles per day. It was great, my first day in the field I got two blisters on my right hand and poison ivy on my left leg from ridding on our bikes in a field! Its great! The first day, Thursday (Since Wednesday is when we met and we had to ride a 3 hour long bus and a 1 hour train to Lincoln from Birmingham) we had a lesson with a LA (Less Active) named Pat with the Elders, it was good, she is a sweet spunky lady. We then had a lesson with this guy named John where all he wants to do is talk about the trinity, he is funny, but at least he is reading the BOM (Book of Mormon)! Then we had to ride into city center to meet the Elders to catch a train to Newyork for a DA (Dinner Appointment) with a family in our ward. (There is only one ward here with only 150 active members, suffer to say, its small.) But we had dinner with them, they have the cutest family, 4 boys, 1 girl all under the age of 11. I was jumping on the tramp with the two oldest boys and they bonked each other so they wouldn’t let me jump with them after that… oops. Haha, well we missed out train back, so the Mom had to drive us home so we were late in getting back but it was alright because The Elders who were with us, one of them is our District leader, Elder Watts. So it was understandable. But those two Elders, Elder Watts and Elder Battles are so funny; they asked the most random questions like, “If you could have any bug on earth pull you in a sleigh, what would you pick?” Haha… So on Friday we had a lesson with this guy named Gary who claims he already had the Holy Spirit with him... But he is so sweet! Really, I love all these people already. Then we went and saw this lady name Gale who we are seeing this week as well, then had another DA at this family’s house… the Crofts, People are so nice and just want to feed us all the time. After dinner we went and saw this mom and her daughter, Sue and Katy. They are LA, so we are trying to get them to come to church. We had a great time teaching them and on the way home we had to just push our bikes because it was raining so hard. I felt like such a missionary then, pushing my bike in the rain going back to our flat. 

Saturday, we did some finding, in other wards knocked on loads of doors, people are slightly rude, and just close the door on you, while your talking… oh well, but this one house had a glass window in the door, and we were just waiting for someone to answer, when all of the sudden a white dogs head pop up, didn’t make any nosie, just suddenly was there, Sis Egbert yelled and ran away real quick like. I just stood there, screamed really loud and then remembered to run. It was so funny and scary. Haha. We then a had met this guy named Malcom, who said he didn’t have time to talk to us but ended up listening to us for 20 mins, the Lord really does work on people who need this. We then rode a bus into town where we got picked up my LA member named Katy, and she took the Elders and us to Stake Conference. It was great, I got to see a few of the sisters from the MTC, I love those sisters. We then came home and studied, and went to bed. Yesterday, we had Stake Conference again at 10 and we were just praying so hard that Sue would come and guess what? She did! She hasn’t been to church in 12 years and she came! It was amazing how faith and prayer work. After that we had a meeting with Katy and the Elders about our investigators then we had Brother Hanks pick us up and take us to his house for dinner. All the ward members here are so nice to us, everyone has been so welcoming and been excited to me. Even the 12-year-old boys came running up to meet me..…. kinda weird, but really great. The dinner at the Hanks was my first real English dinner. Beef, potatoes, corn, carrots, some kind of scones, and loads of gravy... And some interesting kinda bland pudding... It was good. :) We then came back to our flat, grabbed some stuff and went out finding, we went and saw a PI (potential investigator), where we gave him a BOM and we are seeing him on Friday and then we went and saw this old lady named Hilda and we helped her walked her dog Judy around the park and helped her pick up rubbish. And we are seeing her on Wednesday. It has been a great week and I feel like this is going to be a great area. Today is P day and we are biking into city center to buy food for our flat, we are out of everything except beans, and we are tired of those. Haha, and then Sister Egbert is going to cut my hair. Yea! Well I love you all,  I love you and hope everyone is doing great. The Church is true, and Reading the BOM everyday brings such happiness to me! Until next Monday!
Love, Sister J. Curtis

No comments:

Post a Comment